Full Name: Phoebe Summer Halliwell
Date of Birth: November 2, 1975
Title: Charmed One
|Portrayed by: Alyssa Milano|
Phoebe Halliwell is the youngest Charmed One. She is the youngest daughter of Victor Bennett and Patty Halliwell, younger sister of Prue and Piper Halliwell, wife of Jason Dean, and mother of Parker and Peyton Halliwell.
Phoebe is easily the most carefree and unrestricted of the three sisters. She has always been rebellious and brave, often not afraid to try new things or put herself out there, traits that both her sisters secretly envied. However, as a consequence, Phoebe could also act irresponsibly and impulsively. For years she was unable to hold down a steady job for more than a few days or a week. However, due to the responsibilities of being a Charmed One, Phoebe steadily grew into a more grounded and mature woman.
At first, Phoebe revelled in her powers, excited at the prospect that she and her sisters were special, very unlike Prue and Piper, who resented their powers. However, over time, Phoebe began to long for a normal life, for the husband and children that her Charmed life denied her. However, Phoebe still cherishes her powers. She has always been the sister most in-touch with their Wiccan heritage, often following Wiccan holidays and practices.
Phoebe has a strong creative mind. She was the first sister to start writing her own spells, and to discover that she could mash together two different spells to create a more powerful one. Due to being a psychic, she is very compassionate and intuitive. She is able to give sound advice to people, a skill which has earned her acclaim for her advice column, "Ask Phoebe".
Phoebe is often underestimated by demons due to most of her powers being more passive, pushing her to take self-defense classes. She is very feisty and self-confident, quick to stand up for herself. She is very street-smart, and she knows how to pick a lock.
Due to being born in Halliwell Manor, above the Nexus, Phoebe is the sister most susceptible to the dark side. On more than one occasion she has been swayed to the side of evil, only to return to good when her sister's lives were put in danger. Phoebe is very insecure about this fact, as shown when her deepest fear was that deep down, she was evil.
Basic Powers: Powers that all witches have.
- Spell Casting: The ability to write and cast spells that affect change in the universe.
- Potion Making: The ability to brew magical elixirs which can have a variety of mystical effects.
- Scrying: The ability to locate lost objects or people by holding a scrying crystal over a map.
- Divination: The ability to obtain information and knowledge through methods such as tea leaves, tarot cards, etc.
- Blessing: The ability to bless objects such as potions or crystals, and charge them with magic.
Active Powers: Powers that Phoebe herself possesses.
- Premonition: Phoebe's primary Wiccan power is the power to have visions of the past, present, or future. These premonitions often come when she touches something that pertains to the subject of the premonition. Often she cannot control when her premonitions come, but over time she has learned to call a premonition to herself, though this takes time and concentration.
- Levitation: Phoebe's first power advancement was the power to levitate. She can rise several feet into the air and hover there, however she cannot usually move horizontally, just vertically. This power aids her substantially in combat, enabling her to rise into the air to get more leverage for physical attacks.
- Empathy: Phoebe later developed the power to sense and channel other people's emotions. This evolved from her premonition power allowing her to feel what the people in her premonitions feel. This is the first formidable power Phoebe has developed, as since all magical powers are linked to the user's emotions, she can channel magical being's powers and use them against them. Originally, Phoebe could not control her power, often involuntarily channeling people's emotions such as lust, rage, or sadness, causing her to act on their feelings. However, she has since learned to sense people only when she wishes to.
- Pathokinesis: As an advancement of her empathy power, Phoebe can use her power to manipulate other's emotions. She can use this to make them angry, sad, or depressed, or to make them calm, happy, or excited. She can even drain all of their emotions, leaving them as nothing but an apathetic living automaton. However, this power can be lethal, as she can also use it to drain their emotions and then slam them back in, overloading their brain and killing them, or she could use it to amplify their emotions to such levels that it can cause strokes or heart attacks.
Relationship with JasonEditJason and Phoebe first met when Jason bought the Bay Mirror. Phoebe was immediately attracted to him, though they argued when she needed to leave due to a demon attacking Wyatt. However, Phoebe and Jason began flirting with each other, eventually ending with them having sex during an office party. Though Phoebe felt awkward seeing him, the two started a passionate relationship. However, the relationship suffered long-distance stress when Jason had to move to Hong Kong for business, and asked that Phoebe come with him. Phoebe turned him down, choosing to stay with her sisters, until an inhibition-dropping spell cast on the sisters pushed her to accept his offer. Though she left after the spell wore off, she was given the blessing from her sisters to move to Hong Kong to be with him. A very awkward incident occurred when Phoebe sensed that Jason was in love with her, and, confusing that with Jason saying it himself, said "I love you, too." Jason was put off by this, and Phoebe thought that he was running from his feelings, but Jason told her that he just wanted to be able to express them in his own time. Phoebe and Jason had a very happy relationship, until, during a dinner with Bane and Prue, Jason witnessed the sisters fade into the kitchen right in front of his eyes. He panicked about the whole thing, spurred on by Phoebe being possessed by the karma of a World War II spy, Mata Hari, and nearly having him executed by demons as punishment for leaving her. However, her sisters managed to break the spell on Phoebe, allowing her to use her powers to save Jason. However, the experience shook Jason, causing him to tell Phoebe that he needed time to decide whether or not he could be with her.
When Jason returned from Hong Kong to the Bay Mirror, things were awkward between him and Phoebe. While Jason agreed to keep her powers secret, he seemed very uncomfortable around her, which Phoebe interpreted to mean that he didn't want to be with her again, as at this point she had lost her empathy power. However, while Phoebe was working late, Jason revealed that the real reason he hadn' been interacting with her much was because he wanted to find a way to tell her that he wanted to get back together, but feared that she wouldn't want him back. They rekindled their relationship, though there was some hardship getting their relationship going again, including Phoebe going on a sabattical from the paper, and the man who began ghostwriting for her, Leslie. Jason was jealous, thinking that Leslie had feelings for Phoebe, even though Phoebe ensured him that she didn't. However, Phoebe did feel a physical attraction to Leslie, shown when she involuntarily kissed him under the influence of Shakti and Shiva. Jason ended up attacking Leslie when he found out about this, though Phoebe stopped him and assured him that she loved him and wanted to be with him.
After several months of serious dating, Jason decided he wanted to propose to Phoebe. He set up an elaborate proposal in a fancy restaurant, though when everything fell apart due to a demon's influence, he simply proposed to Phoebe in the middle of his apartment. The two got engaged, until a bad investment caused Jason to lose all of his money, making their dream wedding unaffordable. The wedding was postponed, and Jason was forced to move into the manor when he could no longer pay his rent. However, after nearly a year of postponed wedding plans, they managed to get married in a simple chapel. About a year later, Phoebe became pregnant with their first born child, a girl whom they named Parker, and two years later, another daughter named Peyton.